Accredited employers will no longer be able to use 90-day trials.
The Government is requiring employers to commit to not using trial periods when hiring people on an AEWV.
From 29 October 2023:
- There will be a new requirement that employment agreements provided with Job Check applications must not include a trial period
- A Job Check application under assessment will be declined if it includes an employment agreement with a trial period (regardless of the submission date), or Immigration New Zealand (INZ) may request updated information
- A new accreditation standard for the AEWV will be introduced, requiring an employer to commit to not using trial periods when hiring AEWV holders. Breaches of this standard could lead to loss of accreditation.
The 90-day trial rule will not apply to:
- already-approved Job Checks, or
- migrants who already hold, or have applied for, an AEWV.
We have taken care to ensure that the information given is accurate, however it is intended for general guidance only and it should not be relied upon in individual cases. Professional advice should always be sought before any decision or action is taken.